Monday, July 26, 2010

Thankful #4: Sunscreen poetry

I am thankful for words and sunburns.

Starting in reverse order, I am greatful for sunburns because it means I was doing something super fun in the sun. I work indoors, so breathing in the fresh air and relaxing at the beach was definitely worth my red and aching arms. Besides, I was just stupid. Actually listen to your mother for once and WEAR SUNSCREEN.

And firstly, well, it's actually secondly now, but whatever, I am thankful for words. For the ability to write down words, like poetry. Words are a source of great comfort.

"In the beginning was the Word. And the Word was with God. And the Word was God." I was talking to a friend on Sunday, and she pointed out just how beautiful and poetic the introduction in John was. It makes it easier to memorize. The ability to speak good words stems from The Word. Here is my favorite poem. Thank you for the gift of beautiful words, Lord Jesus:

"They came to tell your faults to me
They named them over, one by one
I laughed aloud when they were done
I knew them all so well before.
Oh, they were blind,
Too blind to see
Your faults had made me
Love you more." --Faults by Sara Teasdale

God is good.


No comments:

Post a Comment